TRANSCRIPT & COMMON GROUND archives back to July 2007
January 16th 2009 Commentary
CAL THOMAS COMMENTARY JANUARY 16, 2009
ANCIENT WISDOM IS ALMOST ALWAYS BETTER THAN WHAT PEOPLE COME UP WITH TODAY. CONSIDER THAT IT BECAME ANCIENT BECAUSE IT WAS WISE.
AS WE LISTEN TO TALK OF BAILOUTS AND ENDLESS DEBT, THINK ON THESE THOUGHTS FROM THOMAS JEFFERSON:
“THE DEMOCRACY WILL CEASE TO EXIST WHEN YOU TAKE AWAY FROM THOSE WHO ARE WILLING TO WORK AND GIVE TO THOSE WHO WOULD NOT.”
HERE’S ANOTHER: “IT IS INCUMBENT ON EVERY GENERATION TO PAY ITS OWN DEBTS AS IT GOES. A PRINCIPLE WHICH IF ACTED ON WOULD SAVE ONE-HALF THE WARS OF THE WORLD.”
AND ANOTHER: “I PREDICT FUTURE HAPPINESS FOR AMERICANS IF THEY CAN PREVENT THE GOVERNMENT FROM WASTING THE LABORS OF THE PEOPLE UNDER THE PRETENSE OF TAKING CARE OF THEM.”
AND ONE MORE: “MY READING OF HISTORY CONVINCES ME THAT MOST BAD GOVERNMENT RESULTS FROM TOO MUCH GOVERNMENT.”
JEFFERSON IS CONSIDERED BY THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY TO HAVE BEEN THE FIRST DEMOCRAT. TODAY’S DEMOCRATS (AND REPUBLICANS) WOULD DO WELL TO ATTEND TO HIS ANCIENT WISDOM.
WANT THESE QUOTES? VISIT CALTHOMAS.COM AND CLOCK ON “TRANSCRIPTS.” I’M CAL THOMAS IN WASHINGTON.
General Archive Listing - *use menu buttons for specific category
- Pressuring the wrong countryBy Cal ThomasTribune Content AgencyThe Obama administration is showing it can be tough on foreign policy
- Let them eat cakeBy Cal ThomasTribune Content AgencyIn Arizona has come a test of the motto conservative Christians like to invoke: “Hate the sin, love the sinner
- Separation of government from pressBy Cal ThomasTribune Content AgencyAfter much criticism from conservative quarters, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has decided, at least for now, to withdraw plans for its proposed study of how media organiz
- Back to the past: Not a winning formula for GOPBy Cal ThomasTribune Content AgencyKathleen Willey is back
- CAL THOMAS COMMENTARY MARCH 10, 2014 THERE HE GOES AGAIN! PRESIDENT OBAMA HAS AGAIN UNILATERALLY -- IN VIOLATION OF THE LAW PASSED BY CONGRESS AND SIGNED B
- CAL THOMAS COMMENTARTY MARCH 7, 2014 I LIKE THE ACTOR LIAM NEESON
- CAL THOMAS COMMENTARY MARCH 6, 2014 WHAT DOES THIS SENTENCE MEAN TO YOU: “MY KINGDOM IS NOT OF THIS WORLD…IT’S FROM ANOTHER PLACE
- CAL THOMAS COMMENTARY MARCH 3, 2014 I HAVE RECEIVED SOME CRITICISM FOR MY RADIO COMMENTARY LAST WEEK AND COLUMN ON THE ARIZONA RELIGIOUS FREEDOM MEASURE THAT WAS VETOED BY GOVERNOR JAN BREWER AND THE ARIZO
- Is Cruz out of control?By Cal ThomasTribune Content AgencyWhat you think of Sen