Southern Baptists Confront Sex Abuse Charges

CAL THOMAS COMMENTARY JUNE 13, 2019

         AFTER MONTHS, POSSIBLY YEARS OF DENIAL AND COVER-UP OF ALLEGATIONS OF SEXUAL ABUSE WITHIN ITS CHURCHES, THE SOUTHERN BAPTIST CONVENTION SAYS IT WILL NOW TAKE STEPS AGAINST CHURCHES THAT “ACT IN A MANNER INCONSISTENT WITH THE CONVENTION’S BELIEFS REGARDING SEXUAL ABUSE.”

         AT ITS ANNUAL MEETING IN BIRMINGHAM, ALABAMA, THE COUNTRY’S LARGEST PROTESTANT DENOMINATION ALSO ESTABLISHED A COMMITTEE TO REVIEW COMPLAINTS ABOUT HOW ALLEGATIONS ARE HANDLED. 

         IN FEBRUARY THE HOUSTON AND SAN ANTONIO NEWSPAPERS REPORTED MORE THAN 700 ALLEGED VICTIMS OF ABUSE AT THE HANDS OF NEARLY 400 CHURCH LEADERS. IN MANY CASES, THE CHURCH LEADERS CONTINUED IN THEIR JOBS EVEN AFTER THEIR ACCUSERS CAME FORWARD.

         LAST WEEK, REPORTS THE WALL STREET JOURNAL, THE DENOMINATION RELEASED A REPORT ACKNOWLEDGING NUMEROUS SHORTCOMINGS IN THE WAY ITS CHURCHES HAVE HANDLED ACCUSATIONS OF ABUSE.

         THINGS SHOULD NEVER HAVE GOTTEN THIS FAR. SOUTHERN BAPTIST CHURCH PASTORS AND OTHER LEADERS SHOULD HAVE RECALLED WHAT JESUS SAID ABOUT IT BEING BETTER FOR SOMEONE TO HAVE A MILLSTONE TIED AROUND HIS NECK AND CAST INTO THE SEA THAN TO CAUSE LITTLE ONES TO STUMBLE. I’M CAL THOMAS